Pages

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Christian's Love for Friend?




How does a friend love another friend? To be honest, I was actually stuck with this idea for quite a few years. Because I would like to think about it in a Christian’s perspective. And it seems that I can’t find the appropriate answer even though I had my own speculation. And it’s somehow amazing that as I went to bed just now, somehow there is an answer lingering at the edge of my mind and whispering to me and making me wanting to wake up and here I am, writing it down.


A more accurate title, how does a Christian love a friend? First, I had doubts for years because I see different ways of showing love by different people. And I couldn't help but to feel uneasy with some of the action. It actually broke my heart to see people compromise God for friend. They had put friend prior to God. And the reason they gave me is that it could be one of the ways to bring their friends to God? Examples, people chose to attend a friend’s event rather than going to worship God, people agreed with things that friend said or done which were actually hated by God and people are tolerable with small sins such as signing attendance for friend after being asked to.

One thing I need to explain here. If you love your friend more than God, chances are this love is going to fade anytime. This is because this love might have been based on something, like values. So if this friend can’t maintain the standard of the values you had for him/her, this love is going to end anytime soon. Why, because you can’t love if you didn’t love God. We love because God first loves us and God is love. So if we are far away from God(Love), how can we possibly be able to love? Sounds logic to me.
         
Christians are not anti-social freaks. Jesus had friends too, in fact He wept the moment His best friend, Lazarus died and He had dinner with Matthew who is a tax collector where no one wants to make friend with. And His love for all these friends including you and me is genuine that this verse had been proven by His sacrifice on cross for our sins: “Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends”. 

But do we treat our friends in such a way that we had become the salt and the light to them? Or do our actions pointed people to a darker way, to a journey where God is better off, where God is not important in our lives so do in theirs?

Let us ponder over this tonight to see if any words we had spoken or actions we had taken that actually representing Jesus Christ badly, more importantly if these words and actions had actually broken our Father’s heart. As I was writing this down, I was reflecting it on myself too.

Ask this question again, do we love our friends? If it is so, what can be more important than introducing Jesus Christ to them? (I know it needs time)

Ask this rather more important question again, do we love God? If it is so, what can be more important than bringing yourself to Him first before you try to bring anyone else to Him?

If you do not think of God as love, ask again, what brings you to church in the first place? Is it a Sunday’s routine? Is it because you are born in a Christian’s family? Is it because it seems to be cheerful and merry to sing songs in church? Anyway, I was simply guessing.

But I do hope we all know the reason why we came. It is the most exciting moment ever when it comes to worship God and it would be absurd if any of us chooses other things over this.

So do invite, invite them in a way that they come because they see Jesus Christ in you, not that it’s just another way to please a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment