Pages

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Everyone is unique in their own ways.

I remembered as a child, I came from family of poor. And I always is.

I was difficult to accept the fact after being raised by my grandparents for more than 10 years, that my mother is adopted. And I was difficult to believe that the one who is wealthy is my grandfather, not my father.

And this cat only came out of the bag when I attended the funeral of my real flesh and blood grandmother, with my mother one day when I was Form 2. And I only discovered that I have cousins and they are many.

Grandfather was the closet to me, once. And father, according to grandfather's description, was a gambler, a loser. In my mind, my parents were two monsters I hated very much every time they paid me a visit.

Mother loved her other children. Father was fierce. So, I guessed only my grandparents cared for me.

Until I stayed with them, I knew I was wrong.

Father is the breadwinner of a family of six. Even tough there were so many things happened to my family, despite several quarrels, he never left us like any family drama would be. And whenever he earned more, he would take us for an outing. He is always willing to spend on us. We had been to Birdpark, Taiping Zoo, Botanical Garden, beach and I remembered we were seeking for mall by looking for the balloon they hang in the air, highly in the sky.

I was happy to eat at the food stall, as long as we were one family. I found that we were happier. I got every kind of toy I wanted. A xylophone, a kid lion costume for lion dance, a kid keyboard and of course McD free toys joined the team. Then, father brought in two hamsters for the family, several kois and some green peas.

We were excited when the green peas grew, it felt like an achievement.

Then, we had video games, the one with yellow tape. And slowly, we skipped to PS2.

Father liked Mario Bros and mother was expert in BomberMan. And I loved bumping car on the screen. Sometimes, father paired up with my younger sister in playing Tank.

Our family bond were so strong in the Sega time.

Our wealth were the happiness.

I looked at my neighbour's son and he is dull. His family is rich but they hardly go out together. His father is busy at his factory and he is busy for swimming class, piano lesson and math class. His mother, however, is busy driving him everywhere for class.

And I felt lucky enough that I didn't know any music, any instrument and I couldn't swim.

But I was good at understanding film. In fact, I was lucky to know Mandarin, Cantonese, English and Malay. I watched almost every kind of film including Bollywood and sometimes Mexico. Practically, I knew the difference of the mindsets of people around the world. TV is all I got and all I liked.

I am really sorry for blaming my parents that they don't raise me as someone talented, like a pianist, a violist, a novelist, a ballerina or a squash player. I am really sorry that I was upset that I am just normal like any other child.

But, normal is good eventually I find.

I enjoyed speaking broken English, singing badly and dancing clumsily.

Because I am special of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment