Pages

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Kerana Nila Sebelanga


Let's take a review on a portion of USM APEX medical student because I felt like I had the worst ever English class in my whole life this morning.

It might sound boring that we were writing reports today, but in groups. Pn.T handed us some newspaper like The Star and New Strait Times to grab some material from it. I was excited for it when it came to having to touch the issue on the outside world.

This is all about my group member. One was late. So, two of them first chosen the UPSR and PMR topics when I had to remind them to pick something more interesting like 'Country Bleeding Sand'.

It was a topic about illegal sand mining in Malaysia and the article was reporting how those criminals worked things out and at the same time left damage to our country. They agreed with what I suggested by saying 'cincai la...' which means 'whatever'.

I was kinda offended with that when I saw the irresponsible attitude made by one member.

In short, the article is all about people using bribes, sexual favors and threat with gun to make their smuggling of sand outside a success despite ban from government on export of commodity. There are effects like the damage to animal habitat, deforestation, soil erosion and even sand storm when there are defects on mining process, maklumlah they are illegal.

I was the one who hold the pen and wrote but I didn't really get to decide what to be written down.

We skipped some frustrated part and just talked about the recommendations part. In a report, we actually need to recommend some solutions for the problem we issued.

Member A and B were discussing about it. And this is what they get.

Imposed heavier fine. To who? By who? I was wondering. Of course, expectantly it's by the authorities to those who committed it. But hey bro, now the problem is, authority is receiving bribes and they are closing an eye for what had happened.

And do you know what they reply me? Member A said, 'So, impose heavier fine on those who accept bribes lor.' Pheww...I don't think things always work by just imposing fine, fine, fine!

Then while I was asking member B for solution, he said, 'I think the major problem now is that Malaysian always talk talk talk only but they don't talk action. So, I think they should take action.' [Owh, that's the solution?] I think you are doing the same as what you said, talk, talk and talk.

Imagine, when we tried to work out the report, Member A just sat there, playing with his whatever expensive model cellphone and then read his own newspaper. One word, disrespect.

And Member C taught me a new word today, detrimental. I appreciated that. But when I asked her about the effects of the illegal sand mining, all she could say were just 'detrimental effect'. But she hardly could explain or to elaborate what was on the newspaper.

You know what, the problems are here. Learning language is different. It doesn't mean that you are superior when you know more vocab or spell something better than me. It's flexible and unpredictable. There are might be some words which I know, but you don't know.

What I try to stress on is, language comes with the origin speaker's culture. Like when you speak English, you should at the same time, possess the white culture where they respect people and they have amazing thinking skill on how to tackle a problem and solve it.

But this is lacking in here when people speak English to uplift their status and at the same time, they give up their mother language to adopt the former one.

That is not how the world goes around.

I didn't mean it for everyone. In fact, there are few students who are in the same English class did amazingly great and their desire to pursue knowledge stunned me.

And a friend of mine, Daniel who is also a bright student that currently takes law can be very critical when it comes to Malaysian issues, but indeed truthful.

Meanwhile, a website called loyarburok had opened my door to more wonderful Malaysian students.

So, Malaysia is actually boleh!!! It's just kerana nila sebelanga when majority of us care more about our own benefits.

One word, lame.

I'm not a coward or whatsoever to write it here instead of just telling them how I feel because I don't like to judge them to their faces, possibly, harmony always preserved.

Next post would be Ken Watanabe who ignited my interest again on filming by listening to his talk in CNN today.

No comments:

Post a Comment